Monday, March 12, 2007

A Healthy Narrative

In Illness and Culture in the Postmodern Age, David B. Morris highlights this distinction between disease and illness: “The power to make us sick or well inheres not only in microbes or medications but in images and stories…the main assumption underlying the distinction between between disease and illness is that knowledge falls into two broad categories, objective and subjective” (36-37).

While many things within this quote (and, in fact, his entire book) interest me, for the sake of this particular entry, I’m intrigued the idea of stories and their relation to this division of knowledge into subjective and objective…basically, I am interested in the role of the narrator and storyteller.

As a patient, the role of storyteller is so important. We bring our subjective experiences with illness—the actual process of living with conditions—to our doctors, who hope to match up what we tell them with a different type of knowledge, science. So the details we choose to disclose, how we disclose them, and the narrative we establish about our illnesses often shape our diagnostic journeys. Certainly there are countless tests out there whose results can confirm, refute, or re-cast our stories, but what we describe to our physicians sets the whole process in motion. If I say I generally have pain and fatigue or I say I have pain in my trunk accompanied by muscle weakness and tenderness that worsens after exertion, then I am giving my doctor two different avenues to explore that might share some similarities but can lead to very different destinations.

So what does it means to be the storyteller? It should be pretty easy, right? But that’s not always the case. I know from firsthand experience that assumptions, fears, and self-consciousness can really affect what I say and how I say it: I don’t want to sound like a complainer if I list too many symptoms, I don’t want to seem like I’m making a big deal out of nothing, I don’t want to deal with more tests so I might not mention certain problems I’ve noticed. In addition, despite my best intentions and the short lists I’ve made in preparation, sometimes I get so wrapped up in a particular conversation with a doctor that I forget to touch on other details…we’re threading a different narrative line and I’m unable to shift its focus.

My incomplete narrative may be authentic to my subjective experience in many places, but it is not whole. But can it ever be?

As a writer, the role of the narrator and storyteller is inherent in every step of the writing process. In order to create atmosphere, emotion, or a factually accurate account that is concise enough, we’re constantly choosing certain details and facts over others: what does my reader need to know about the background of a situation to understand a current dilemma? If I’m trying to illustrate a particular aspect of a relationship or make a specific point, what other information about the dynamic do I need to cover? If I’m writing about a scene where something good happens, is it disingenuous to leave out negative moments that were also part of the back story if they interfere with the true (but incomplete) moment I am describing?

And of course this process is filled with the same types of obstacles that occur when we’re asked to be narrators of our illnesses: how do I come across to my reader? Does the situation I have described make sense or does the reader need more information? Will I hurt or offend anyone I have portrayed? Will anyone care about what I have to say? I am the one deciding which facts to include, so even if my finished product yields a cohesive storyline, I know it might not be a complete one.

This tension is not unique to the position of patient or writer, but since I exist within both modes, it’s interesting to look at how they intersect. I think there will always be that push and pull between the subjective (our experiences) and the objective (science, facts, historical record), but that’s what makes both medicine and writing so dynamic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Laurie
I just found your interesting post with the excellent parallel between the role of a narrator/storyteller and the patient. Some medical schools are now interested in training doctors to recognize this and not simply to record facts. You are probably familiar with SOAP notes, and I noticed that you are currently reading How Doctors Think - any clues for us in that book?

Laurie said...

Hi Julia,
Thanks for the comment! I think it is so good and so important that med schools realize the importance of not simply recording facts. We discuss SOAP notes every semester in my courses, and I think it's a tough balance--you need to be succinct with the facts on something like a SOAP note, but the process of getting to those facts is anything but concrete and objective.

How Doctors Think is a fascinating read--I found myself actually nodding vigorously while reading, thinking to myself, "Yes! That's exactly what happens! Wow, that makes so much sense!" It's a must-read. In ways much more eloquent and valid than I could express here, Groopman explores phenomena like this-- a doctor hears a symptom, thinks of the most likely or common reason for it, and so approaches the rest of what he/she hears through this perspective....which is great if it's correct, but can be really limiting if it's not. That's just a really simplified, boiled down example of what he gets into, but my hunch is you would really enjoy this book...

 
Powered by blogger. Customized by PinkDezine.