Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Notes from Sick Bay

As some of you regular readers know, New Year's has special meaning for me. Four years ago this evening, I met the man who would become my husband. I had also just gotten out of the hospital again, and that winter marked a turning point for me in terms of diagnosis and treatment. Since then, every New Year's that I'm not in the hospital or acutely ill is a milestone.

Healthwise, I've come a long way since then.

We've come a long way since then, and each year we mark each New Year's with a special dinner or celebration.

Not this year. He's bedridden with a stomach bug that has left him dehydrated and weak, and I've come down with another respiratory infection. So we're spending New Year's in sick bay, armed with tissues and tea cups, our fancy dinner out likely replaced with chicken broth and ginger ale.

We were at a wedding this past weekend--an especially lovely and joyful one--and the "in sickness and in health" sentiments are fresh in my mind. Eh, so we won't have expensive wine and good food. Who cares. At least we're in the trenches together--and since neither of us are in the hospital, it's still a good end to the year yet.

***
Speaking of being in the trenches, the December Pain-Blog carnival is up now at How To Cope with Pain, including an entry from A Chronic Dose. During the last week of each month, the best posts of that month are highlighted. New bloggers are always welcome to contribute. There's plenty of good reading and tips to start 2008 off the right way!

***


A Chronic Dose has been nominated for the 2007 Medical Weblog Awards for Best Literary Blog (my little MFA heart is fluttering just a bit at this) and Best Patient Blog. It is an honor to even be nominated and stand next to such high-quality sites, so I thank you very much for the nod. Voting for the finalists begins Jan. 8th.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NYE is special for us, too - spending it together every year since 1996 (the year we met) and getting engaged seven years ago tonight.

But like you, it's not so much fun this year. I've got a nasty cold.

Glad to see your nomination!

A said...

For some of us it should be "In perpetual sickness and in short bouts of health"...he he.

I'm happy that you have been such good supports to one another.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the nominations- you deserve them! I hope both of you are feeling better soon.

Happy New Year!

Lyrehca said...

Happy new year, and congrats on the nomination!

Terry at Counting Sheep said...

Happy and healthy New Year, and congrats on your nomination. Well deserved.

Girl, Dislocated said...

Happy New Year! I hope 2008 brings a more pleasant sickness to health ratio for you and your husband!

I'll be sure to vote for you as soon as voting begins!

 
Powered by blogger. Customized by PinkDezine.